Tuesday, June 12, 2012

"I'm gonna make my bed!"


“I’m gonna make my bed.” Oh my goodness! You guys have no idea how EXCITED I was to hear those words. :) I’ll explain why, but first I want to give you a rundown of the precious weekend we had! We had a cleanup day at our church. It’s always fun to do things with our church family. We don’t see them often enough.

I should mention that the majority of the ‘work’ was done outside...and since we do live in Alabama, outdoor work most often includes one of Luke’s very favorite things: tractors! He absolutely had a blast. He drove this tractor:


and this one...

Isn't that the sweetest little wave you've ever seen?? lol

and then he drove this gator thingy...

and somewhere he found these flags lol

I think it's safe to say that he definitely enjoyed the cleanup day more than anyone else! 

The highlight of my weekend, however, came Sunday morning...
I got up and turned on a movie for Luke and went to make myself some coffee. When I went back into Luke's room a few minutes later, he was standing up on his bed, like he was about to get down. I asked him what he was doing, and he said "I'm gonna make my bed!" Ahhh!!! I was thrilled lol and let me explain why...(besides the obvious reason that a four year old just voluntarily mentioned making his own bed) See, my sister and I spent quite a bit of time making him a little routine chart for mornings and nights. Since he's about to have a birthday, I thought it would be a great time to go ahead and  get the routine chart implemented. So my sweet friend Kristen helped me take this...

and make it into this... :)

We laminated all of it, and then cut out the check marks and put velcro on the backs of them so he can just stick his little check marks on there after he does each task.
I was beyond excited with the outcome! :D


Saturday night Luke and Michael and me went over his 'night' checklist and he checked them all off. He loved it! But the reason that I was so excited when he said he was going to make his bed is because we never even went over the morning routine!!! He just did it all on his own! SUCCESS!! :D 
I'm so glad he liked it. I think it's going to be great for him. His reaction was definitely worth the time and effort we put into it.

Here he is with his bed all made up! (ok I helped a little)

And here he is with his check mark on 'make bed.' :)

He was so proud!!


(special thank you to Brandi & Kristen for your help on this little project!)

What about you? Do you have any chore lists or routine charts that work for you? I would love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. Very cute routine chart! We're expecting our first in January, so it will be a while before we can implement something like this. But it's never too early to start getting ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! How exciting :) congratulations!! and thank you..he really seemed to enjoy it. I think kids really do crave structure. My husband told me that after he ate lunch he went to his room and was looking for the place to check that off too lol I may have to make him a 'middle of the day' chart ha ha thanks for stopping by!

      Delete